[aprssig] Why KISS?

Mike Yetsko myetsko at insydesw.com
Thu Dec 2 23:24:57 EST 2004

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:18:30 -0600, John Becker <w0jab at big-river.net>
wrote:
> > What is the computer doing that your TNC (Terminal Node Controller)
> > cant do for itself?
> >
> > Running in the KISS mode just gives you a protocol that permits
> > a more efficient use of your TNC with a host computer.
>
> That's essentially what I said. But your TNC running as a digi has a
> fixed feature set. That is not problem for some folks, but is a
> limitation for others. It's a personal preference issue.

Just remember there are a lot of features that are 'version dependant' on
various TNCs.  What with one company charging more for a ROM
upgrade than the whole thing was going for used, it made sense to get
whatever version you could and just support KISS with your TNC.

With KISS, the only issues for new features is writing software or finding
someone else that's already done it.

And before someone says make your own ROM.  Do you really want to
do that?  It's hard enough to get some schematics, correct ones anyway.
Then you'd have to start from scratch unless you could find a good
template to start from.

With KISS, you have the hardware and also have fairly easy interface to
the hardware.  Unless the physical layer changes spec, pretty much any
and all enhancements are nothing but application upgrades.

Mike