[aprssig] Re: APRSpoint and other map sources

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 2 19:14:33 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Mark A. Lewis wrote:

> I did some quick looking, it is fairly compressable as far as I can
> tell. The TIF files compress about 50%.
>
> Someone said something about 6 CDs? If so, that's about 4 gigs. If it
> will compress, we can get it down to 2.5ish. As long as we can keep it
> under 10-15 gigs, I would be willing to do this.

More like 30 CD's for the state of WA.  Will vary based on the size
of the state, as these are 1 degree by 1 degree slices.  Some slices
need two CD's to cover them, but most are one CD's worth.

That's just for the USGS topo maps.  For the USGS DLG contours in
SDTS format it'd be a bit more.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer