[aprssig] Re: APRSPoint and other map sources

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Dec 2 08:20:45 EST 2004

If xastir has a map problem, it's over-availability, or maybe even
hyper-availability.  I guess I'm a bit of a map freak (cartophile?),
and I'm running out of places to put all the maps I can use with
xastir.

My mobile is a D700, until balloon chase time, then it's xastir.  On a
recent chase in a rural area, a windows client user (not sure which
one) and myself was looking for a route to the balloon.  Xastir with
TIGER shapefiles+dbfawk and GNIS showed maps that were comparable to
the windows app, but the TIGER data appeared to be more up to date,
plus I had contour lines overlaid on my map (useful, since we were on
the edge of a plateau looking for a way down).

I also had much better access to raw TNC data to determine what was
happening to the balloon during flight.

In terms of features and price, xastir cannot be beat.

-Jason
kg4wsv