[aprssig] strange map behavior

WA8LMF@aol.com WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 11:33:04 EDT 2004

Art Snapper wrote on 8/28/2004, 8:22 PM:

 > I have been playing around with aprs on my sail oat (nk8x-8) on Lake
 > Michigan. The maps on findu.com and aprsworld.net behave strangely for
 > plots on the lake. I captured a plot and saved it here:
 > http://lakemichiganfun.com/plot.png
 > Perhaps this is an old problem. I subscribe to the APRS sig in a
 > digest and must confess to not reading all the posts!

The aprsworld maps that are used by findu are composed (like most GIS
and map display systems) of multiple layers of data displayed one on top
of the other.  Highways, city streets, state and county boundries, etc
may come from different sources with wildly differing levels of
completeness and accuracy.

There appear to be numerous errors and omissions in the database
aprsworld uses to place bodies of water (ocean coastline, lakes, rivers
and streams, etc) on the maps.  I have noticed here on the west coast
that many portions of the Pacific Coast Highway are "under water" also
while several major lakes and reservoirs don't show at all!