[aprssig] APRS Network Stewardship

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:31:35 EDT 2004

Network Stewardship is a fundamental aspect of APRS.

Over the years it might be that new software for APRS
is containing less Network Stewardship, or, if it is there,
it is not highlighted as an important part of APRS ops.

What I mean by  Network Stewardship is that software
must attempt to balance the needs of the individual  with
the needs of the network to survive and provide some
basic level of service.  This includes minimizing paths,
proper choice of rates,  reducing fluff, eliminating bad
data, timing out of old data, smart ack techniques, smart
beaconing among others.

To this end I am assembling a table of items involved
in Network Stewardship so that we dont lose sight
of these important items.  I'll seed the table to get it
started, based on what is built-into APRSdos, but I
will need some help filling in the blanks for other
programs...

Network Stewardship
*------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auto Netcycle  (10m local else 30)