[aprssig] poor man's blue tooth

wes at johnston.net wes at johnston.net
Wed Aug 4 17:23:54 EDT 2004

I don't mean to quote too much... but here's what I read in your link....

§97.305 Authorized emission types.
 (a) An amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any frequency authorized to
the control operator.

(b) A station may transmit a test emission on any frequency authorized to the
control operator for brief periods for experimental purposes, except that no
pulse modulation emission may be transmitted on any frequency where pulse is not
specifically authorized and no SS modulation emission may be transmitted on any
frequency where SS is not specifically authorized.

(c) A station may transmit the following emission types on the frequencies
indicated, as authorized to the control operator, subject to the standards
specified in §97.307(f) of this part.
--snip--
UHF:
70 cm
Entire band
MCW, phone, image, RTTY, data, SS, test (6), (8)
--snip--
(6) A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using a specified digital code listed in
§97.309(a) of this Part may be transmitted. The symbol rate must not exceed 56
kilobauds. A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using an unspecified digital code
under the limitations listed in §97.309(b) of this Part also may be transmitted.
The authorized bandwidth is 100 kHz.

(8) A RTTY or data emission having designators with A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J or
R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 7 or 9 as the second symbol; and D or W as the third
symbol is also authorized.

--snip--
§97.309 RTTY and data emission codes.
 (a) Where authorized by §97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of this Part, an amateur
station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the following specified
digital codes:
--snip--
(4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code
specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics
have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose
of facilitating communications.
--end quote--

Since this is 433mhz, it can be operated under part 97 with proper ID cycle.
According to (4) above, we can use any code that is publicly documented... I bet
these little transmitters are using a publicly known modulation.

Thanks for the info about 10% duty cycle on the part 15.  I had no idea.  We'll
have to make the GPS only send GPRMC to satisfy that requirement.

Wes