[aprssig] Spurious SSID's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:56:56 EDT 2004

>>> jdw at eng.uah.edu 8/3/04 1:43:25 PM >>>
>> Its an improperly set up D-700 digi.  See my notes on
>> the APRSerrata page:
>>
>> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/d700digi.txt

>Can I leave these settings for UIDIGI and UIFLOOD
>on my D700 as a  normal station so I can simply change
>the digipeater menu selection  from "off" to "on" when
>I need to?  [for example while chasing balloons]...

Yes and no and I donnno...

1) No balloons  use WIDEn-N paths (or shouldnt)
2) The chances of operating as a TRUE mobile
     WIDEn-N digi are very rare
3)  I am still not 100% confident that when DIGI is off,
    that it is really off...
4)  There were some repored anomolies in digipeating even
     after a D700 UIDIGI RELAY and WIDE were removed
     that it kept digipeating...

More testing needs to be done.
But I was dead certain once (may have been a fluke) that
once I set my UIDIGI to RELAY,WIDE and then later
removed the WIDE, that it kept on digipeating incoming
WIDE packets.  But I have never had time to re-check.

Good questions.  Also the UIFLOOD and UITRACE
are only accessible in PACKET mode, there is a good
quesiton about what they do while in APRS mode?
and do they go on and off with DIGI ON/OFF?

So bottom line is that I just donno all the possibilities.
and it would be nice if someone took the time to
figure it all out...

good luck
Bob