[aprssig] Spurious SSID's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 3 12:39:30 EDT 2004

Curt,
Its an improperly set up D-700 digi.  See my notes on
the APRSerrata page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/d700digi.txt
thanks
bob

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Al Wolfe wrote:
> >
> > >      For the past several weeks I have been seeing several
stations around
> > > here with SSID's that are fictitious. For example, a local digi,
WA9RES,
> > > normally has no SSID but we are receiving it with -13, -14, -15
sporadically
> > > as well. I though at first it was just my system but see it with
three
> > > different computers and two different TNC's. It also shows up on
Findu.
> > > Maybe a digi is mangling packets somewhere? How do we find out
what the
> > > problem is? How do we solve it?
> >
> > Are you seeing it on RF, Internet, or both?
> >
> > Example of a few callsigns that are showing the extra SSID's so we
> > can investigate further?
>
> I meant _more_ examples.  If more callsigns are showing them anyway.

Near as I can tell it's probably happening directly on RF somewhere.
When I looked on findu, the -13 packet was gated by W9GPS, running
APW275.  The -14 and -15 packets were gated by KB9QJM-10, running
APJI20.  The -0 packet was gated by W9ADS, running APS221.

Because of the varying igate software, it's likely that it's not a
bug there that is causing the SSID to change when the packet is
injected into the INET.

I wanted to check that, as we have an Xastir igate in our area that
appears to be adding a -5 to some stations as they are igated
(doesn't show up on RF though), and I wanted to make sure that your
problem wasn't caused by that.  If Xastir is doing that or similar
elsewhere, I'd like to hear about it though, as I'm trying hard to
track that problem down.

You may have to do some logging of the on-air packets to see who is
changing the packets, then try to get whatever station is doing it
reconfigured.