[aprssig] Should I develop an embedded I/F to Davis WX?

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 10:01:22 EDT 2004

On that first reply, Scott, I had connected you with being Mr. OpenTracker!  It
is a pleasure to meet you.

How much ROM/RAM are available on the OpenTracker?  Davis has the protocol,
using their Data Logger module, pretty well documented on their support site.
Looks like it has not changed much for the Vantage Pro.  Most of the docs are
Vantage Pro filenames, but don't mention it internally, just older models.

On being able to receive ...
Maybe I am showing my inexperience with APRS.  It just seems like the right
thing to do.  I am getting a handle on my coverage environment and I should
eventually be at least a RELAY, I would think.  The digi I can hear is 42 miles
away (DVPORT), and I am just lucky that I am going between several peaks and
mesas to see it LOS.  (The "direct profile" of DeLorme's TopoUSA is a cool
tool!)  I have a great location ... 200' AAT to the north and 1000' AAT to the
south, so I can probably fill coverage in that part of the state.

I was also thinking that I might want to ask it for more information and some
control functions that could be sent to the unit.  Maybe I should get my feet
wet with a working APRS/WX before getting too fancy.  In practical terms, it
would be adequate if I could make it smart enough to send a message to my home
QTH for certain alarm conditions ... smoke detector, cabin door open, kind of
thing.

My little brag: I picked this location for my future retirement for a reason.
High, remote, rare county/grid, few neighbors (1000' to the closest), totally
quiet power lines (I hope BPL never happens).  About N34 37.6, W108 31.0
--
Gary, WS5N