[aprssig] Should I develop an embedded I/F to Davis WX?

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 2 00:31:07 EDT 2004

I have not dug deep into the Davis protocol yet, Scott, but it looks like the
Davis unit responds to polled queries.  I'd just ask it a bunch of questions to
fill a weather packet.  I am not clear at the moment how much of the
poll/response behavior is built-in to the weather monitor console and how much
comes along with the Data Logger device.  I might have to buy the WeatherLink
software in order to get the Data Logger.

If I have to spend another $150 to get the Davis to talk to me on a serial link,
it will put a damper on my enthusiasm.  We'll see.  The weather station will be
here next week.  I'll poke around a little.  I'll ask Davis if they can tell me
what the Data Logger really does besides the logging function, which I would not
be using anyway.

I am hoping for this system to have ears.  As I understand it,
OpenTracker/TinyTrac3 is transmit only.  I'll look and see if the OpenTracker
module can support receive too.  If so, it might be a way to avoid designing new
hardware.  Learning a new assembler is part of the fun.
 --
Gary, WS5N
Tijeras, New Mexico USA